Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My personal history - the past.

About an year ago I lost my mother to cancer. Ever since, I been searching for the right steps and answers. I am building this blog for myself and likewise situated people. Let me introduce myself.

I am a first generation only child. My parents saved all their money. Their investments were relatively ultra conservative. They put it under real-estate (a few houses) and pure liquidity, Certificated Deposits.

Of course I never really liked my mother. Being the only heir, success was thrust upon me. Often I fail to live up to expectations. Hence, I became a teacher. I went through all the schooling, the red tape, the prejudicial teacher preparation supervisors, and the dream of mediocrity. I was living a life like my friends whom defined value through mediocrity. Teaching salary was 40k annually. After taxes, I took home about 2500 a month. $800 dollar of which went to rent. Then another 400 went to utilities and expected expenses. Another $600 went to groceries and occasional dinning out. All in calculation, I was saving about 500 bucks a month - without contingency expenses.
I lived with my girlfriend, now my wife, for three years away from my home. In our new life together, we had our car fixed then stolen, months with barely enough money to survive - I get paid once a month, so lavish spending emptied out our bank, and $10,000 credit debt to repay. It was rough. After paying off debts and living expenses, we had very little money left. This lack of money limited us from enjoying life. Enjoying life as my richer friends explained was buying and doing things in tandem to the coterie. Since I was far away from any of my friends, I had no hobbies nor events that I need to attend to. Life was simple. Day in and day out of work, and with my free time I use it either to dine or sulk with my life partner. The lack of everything due to our financial circumstance gave us liberation from wants and facades. I was poor and I was happy.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete